The Association of Professional Party Organizers and Event Managers of Nigeria (APPOEMN) held its first post-covid-19 annual general meeting on Tuesday, April 27, 2021 which was virtual.
Welcoming all members who turned up at the meeting, president of the body, Adefunke Kuyoro began by taking a minute’s silence in honor of all the industry’s heroes who have fallen since the advent of Covid-19 some of whom are Ibidun Ighodalo, Diekolola Osa Avielele, Romoke Adebo, Ikpowomsa Mary Buraimoh, DJ Babus, Peju Ugbomma and all those not known about or forgotten to be mentioned.
APPOEMN PRESIDENT FULL ADDRESS
“Welcome to the 2021 APPOEMN’S Annual General Meeting. I thank you all for being here and also appreciate all our members joining us online through our interactive live stream. Thank you all so much for taking time out of your busy schedules to be at this very important occasion.
At the beginning of 2020 we all sat down to draw up our goals and aspirations. We attended several goal setting tutorials and seminar but alas, 2020 had a different plan for us all. There has been a downward turn in the nation’s economy, jobs loss, millions of death all over the world. In the midst of the pandemic and 4months lock down and nearly 8-9 months of total, partial, total and then again as it is partial lockdown of our industry, some of us have prospered, some have gone down, some have re-strategized, diversified and pivoted their businesses.
We have even lost some iconic members of our industry space but in the midst of it all we still thank God. I thank God for all members of Appoemn both old and new. I say a very big welcome to those who have joined us during the pandemic and are been inducted today. Thank God that he has seen us through this very turbulent times and we are still standing. Review of Activities for 2020: As previously stated, 2020 was handled by the previous Exco which fortunately I was also a part of. We started the year with our owambe party in January held at Lekki Coliseum. It was a smash and everyone was looking forward to a better one in 2021. Unfortunately COVID-19 had other plans. Training for staff vendors. In the midst of the pandemic lockdown a committee was setup to raise funds and assist our casual staff who suddenly found themselves out of work. Several Zoom trainings were organized for our members, including mental health. APPOEMN TV was created, hosted and ran in 2020.
We could not hold our annual conference -TEIC in 2020 as we were all aware but by His grace we might be able to hold a bigger and better annual conference. This first quarter of 2021, the new EXCO’s have also done the following; hosted a send forth of the old EXCO and inaugurated a new EXCO, rolled out a monthly newsletter for the association, engaged the responsible ministry (tourism) and Federal Safety Commission in several dialogue and meetings resulting in our becoming unofficial partners with the commission. Also the Education director has organized two trainings for the association – one with in-house facilitators on Event Safety and “Resilience”- an entrepreneurs’ coping mechanism now and beyond. There is also a training on tax matters happening tomorrow.
Our welfare team has remained vibrant with members celebrated on their birthdays and actively engaging with member to see how they are doing.
1. We are still on course in setting up zonal chapters with Abuja as out inaugural project.
2. More trainings plans for members by the education unit. We plan to have relevant trainings once a month.
3. Newsletters will continue to be published and circulated on a monthly basis
4. Retirement and pension plans, health and life insurances proposal are been examined so we will be able to roll out a group insurance for member.
5. Now that the events space is opening up, we will be looking at team bonding activities for members.
6. Creating zonal groups for members and a whole lot more plans to continue to make the association a vibrant and forward thinking one. We will be starting today to form support partners. More details will be given during AOB. We must always be our brothers’ keepers. Finally I say thank you once again for taking time out to attend this AGM and implore that we all join hands to continue to take APPOEMN higher in the industry space and indeed a place to be. Love you all God bless you Long live
APPOEMN, Long live our nation Nigeria”.
It will be recalled that in November 2020 a new executive was elected into the association with members, Segun Okunuga – Logistics Director, Ojuolape Femi- Ayodele – Welfare Director, Pamela Maria Nwonu – Events Director, Yemisi Peters – Education Director, Funmilayo Olaogun- Finance Director, Bose Abisagboola – Public Relations, Director Jumoke Olatunji- Asst. Secretary, Omolola Balogun – General Secretary, Funbi Akinyosoye – Vice President and Adefunke Kuyoro -President.
The new EXCO was formally inaugurated in March 2021 and work started for them in January 2021.